Once you have your orthodontic appliances or braces in place, keeping your teeth, gums and appliances clean is very important. Braces, wires, bands and retainers can all trap food particles. Careful brushing and flossing, preferably after every meal, is the best way to prevent plaque build up, tooth decay, and gum disease.
It is important to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet to achieve the best possible results from treatment. A good diet provides essential nutrients to bones and tissues undergoing change during orthodontic treatment.
The biggest enemy of your teeth is plaque and the most common and effective means of removing plaque from your teeth is regular brushing and flossing.
It's more important than ever to brush and floss regularly when you have braces, so the teeth and gums are healthy after orthodontic treatment. Because dental hygiene is so important, regular visits to the family dentist for a professional cleaning must continue every six months during orthodontic treatment (or more often, if recommended ).
- Hold the rush at an angle and press firmly against the teeth
- Move the brush in small circles, cleaning the tooth surface
- Brush above and below the archwire
- Brush the backside and chewing surfaces of all your teeth
- Flossing is more difficult when you have braces on your teeth
- A floss threader will be needed to get the floss under the archwire
- Use a piece of floss about 12 inches long
- Use the floss threader to get the floss under the wire
- Slide the floss up and down along the tooth surface
- Floss carefully around the gum area
- Flossing is important and should be done everyday
Phos-Flur rinse can help prevent cavities and white marks while your braces are on and also once braces are removed. Use Phos-Flur rinse every day after brushing before bedtime. Phos-Flur rinse contains a unique fluoride formula which allows the fluoride to penetrate deep into your teeth. This helps make your teeth strong and more resistant to cavities and white marks. Because it's a rinse, Phos-Flur can get to those hard-to-reach areas that brushing and flossing may miss. For your convenience you can purchase Phos-Flur at our office.